Rice Krispie Treats Recipe (VIDEO)6 min read
Our family’s favorite Rice Krispie Treats Recipe for thick, gooey dessert bars filled with sweet and buttery marshmallows and crispy cereal crunch. A “secret” add-in makes these the best Rice Krispie treats ever.
If you love easy party-favorite desserts like Lemon Bars, Pecan Pie Bars or Strawberry Pretzel Salad, these homemade Krispie Treats are a must-try!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
The Best Rice Krispie Treats
Today we’re making the best big and gooey Rice Krispie treats. Who doesn’t have at least one fond memory of these classic rice treats growing up? Our Rice Krispie squares are big, soft, and chewy, with a satisfying crunch. This is our family’s go-to recipe and it’s a keeper.
In addition to adding vanilla and salt to balance the sweetness, adding whole marshmallows at the end is the “secret sauce” that makes these the most irresistible.
Whether you’re making these for a bake sale, a potluck, or a birthday party at school, this Krispie treats recipe is always a crowd-pleaser. Watch the easy video below and you’ll be known for these treats!
Rice Krispie Treats Video
Watch Natasha make easy Rice Krispie Treats from scratch using just a handful of ingredients.
Below is the short list of ingredients you’ll need to make these delicious and classic no-bake crispy rice treats. Remember to scroll to the recipe card for the full recipe details.
- Butter – I prefer to use unsalted butter in most recipes, so the end result doesn’t turn out too salty. You’ll need additional butter for greasing the pan, too.
- Marshmallows – Mini marshmallows are my favorite to use when making Rice Krispie treats. Be sure to reserve 2 cups for adding in at the end.
- Vanilla and salt – Pure vanilla extract for flavor, and salt to balance the sweetness.
- Crispy Rice Cereal – You can use the original Rice Krispies cereal or a generic version. Your dessert bars can’t tell the difference!
- Sprinkles – Optional, for garnish. See below for easy variation ideas.
Pro Tip: If you only have large-sized marshmallows, chop them into smaller pieces so they are easier to melt.
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats
Begin by greasing a 9×9 baking dish and lining it with parchment paper. You can also make this recipe in a 9×13 pan, though your Rice Krispie treats will be on the thinner side. These bars come together in just a few quick steps:
- Melt the Marshmallows – Add butter and 6 cups of mini marshmallows to a large pot. Gently stir over low heat until the marshmallows are melted. Be careful to not overcook the marshmallows, as the sugar will harden.
- Combine – Take the pot off the heat, then stir in vanilla and a pinch of salt. Next, fold in the crispy rice cereal along with an additional 2 cups of mini marshmallows. You’ll need to work quickly here, stirring until the added marshmallows are just beginning to melt.
- Press into the Pan – Finally, scoop and spread the mixture into your prepared baking dish. Lay a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap over the top while you press the marshmallow mixture into an even layer (see photo below).
- Set – Allow the Krispie treats to cool to room temperature before you cut them into squares.
Pro Tip: A 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows equals about 8 cups. You can also use 1½ 10 oz bags. Meanwhile, 7 cups of crispy rice cereal equal roughly 7 oz. Feel free to scale the recipe up or down as needed.
They may not technically be Rice Krispie treats, but you can make this recipe with any cereal you’d like. Fruity Pebbles, Corn Pops, Cocoa Puffs, Froot Loops, you name it.
Certainly. In place of vanilla, you can flavor your crispy treats with other extracts like almond, or peppermint extract.
You can make gluten-free Rice Krispie treats, just be sure that the marshmallows and brand of crispy rice cereal you’re using are labeled gluten-free.
Yes, and it’s easy to do. You can even freeze batches of Krispie treats for later. See below for make-ahead details.
Instead of a 9×9, you can also use a 10×10 or even a 13×9 pan for Rice Krispie Treats. Keep in mind they won’t be quite as thick and tall in the larger-sized pans unless you scale up the recipe proportionally.
Rice Krispies Treat Variations
When it comes to customizing your crispy rice treats, there are so many ways you can change up this recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Cocoa Krispies – Trade out regular Rice Krispie cereal for chocolate Rice Krispies.
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats – Melt creamy peanut butter into the marshmallows for an easy peanut butter-flavored version.
- Chocolate – Drizzle the squares with melted chocolate or top them with chocolate chips.
- Holidays – Adding colored sprinkles is an easy way to make Krispie treats more festive. Add red and green for Christmas, red and pink for Valentine’s Day, rainbow sprinkles for a Birthday theme, or make Harvest treats with black and orange sprinkles.
It’s hard to beat a fresh batch of Rice Krispies treats, however, they do keep well and stay gooey for several days. Whether you’re making them ahead for a special occasion or simply saving leftovers, Rice Krispie squares are easy to store:
- To Store: Keep the bars airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend refrigerating Rice Krispie treats as they tend to harden.
- Freezing: Rather than refrigerating your treats for longer storage, a better option is freezing. Store your rice treats in a freezer-safe bag or container, remove extra air, and freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw the bars at room temperature before serving.
Rice Krispie Treats are a classic dessert that everyone loves. We can’t wait for you to try this recipe packed with extra gooey marshmallows.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Check out these other easy desserts that are perfect for parties and potlucks:
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Thick and gooey Rice Krispie Treats are a classic no-bake dessert filled with sweet buttery marshmallows and crispy rice cereal crunch. A family-favorite recipe!
rice crispy treats recipe, rice krispie treats, the best rice krispie treats
Servings: 16 treats
unsalted butter, plus more to grease pan
mini marshmallows, divided into 6 cups and 2 cups
fine sea salt
crispy rice cereal
Butter and line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper (you can use a 9×13 but the squares won’t be as thick).
In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter over medium/low heat. Add 6 cups marshmallows and stir just until completely melted (don’t overcook or the mixture will harden).
Remove the pan from the heat and immediately stir in vanilla and salt. Working quickly add the cereal and remaining 2 cups marshmallows and stir/ fold together until well coated and added marshmallows just start to melt but are still chunky.
Immediately transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, place a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper over the top to prevent sticking and lightly pressing it evenly into the pan.
Set aside to cool completely to room temperature (about 1 hour), then slice into squares and enjoy.
Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days. (Refrigeration is not recommended as the treats harden too much and their texture suffers.)
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g25%
Trans Fat 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Vitamin A 175IU4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.