So if you’re wondering what to do with leftover turkey, look no further! Leftovers are one of my favorite parts of the holidays since it means easy meals for weeks to come (YAY!!).
Below is a collection of the best leftover turkey recipes and ideas. Whether you want to completely recreate a new recipe like turkey soup or keep it simple with a hot turkey sandwich the possibilities are endless!
What to Make With Leftover Turkey
When it comes to leftover turkey ideas there is no shortage. Especially when you consider that almost every recipe made with chicken is great with turkey too! A delicious turkey pot pie or turkey salad sandwich are just some of the delicious ways to use it.
Bones, Neck, Giblets, and Carcass
If you make spatchcock turkey keep the back bone to add to turkey broth for soup.
Use the carcass or the neck from your Thanksgiving turkey for Turkey Stock (or Broth). This can also be made in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.
Use the giblets in gravy or add them to leftover stuffing. If you’d like, keep the livers to make patè.
Leftover Turkey Soups
Bell warming soups are a great way to enjoy leftover turkey and they are so easy to make. Perfect for the cooler months, toss them in the crockpot or make them on the stove for a quick and easy meal! Serve with some dinner rolls or a thick slice of garlic bread to soak up every last drop!
Creamy Turkey Soup Recipes
Broth Based Soups
- Turkey Soup – Simply perfect. No oddball ingredients, this leftover turkey recipe is full of goodness.
- Slow Cooker Turkey Vegetable Soup – jam-packed with veggies in a tomato broth, this turkey soup is easy to make in the slow cooker. Add in leftover vegetables from dinner too!
- Slow Cooker Cajun Bean Turkey Soup– Cajun bean soup is a hearty and delicious way to enjoy leftovers and great to feed a crowd. This soup reheats beautifully.
- Turkey Noodle Soup – turkey, vegetables and noodles cook on the stovetop in just a few simple steps.
- Spicy Southwest Turkey and Bean Soup – leftovers with a kick. This soup is great topped with sour cream, salsa and some jalapenos.
Turkey Chili Recipes
- White Turkey Chili leftover turkey chili in a flavorful sauce. This recipe cooks in the slow cooker for an easy hands-off meal.
Leftover Turkey Casserole Recipes
Casseroles are my favorite, easy to make ahead of time, low on dishes, and belly-warming for sure! Most Chicken Casserole recipes start with cooked chicken and it can almost always be substituted for cooked turkey (which is a big part of the reason I cook more turkey than I need).
- Turkey Tetrazzini – This creamy pasta dish has leftover turkey and mushrooms with spaghetti in a creamy sauce. Top it all with cheese and bake until bubbly.
- Creamy Turkey Casserole – Super quick prep and any kind of pasta, this shortcut meal is great for leftovers.
- Turkey Pot Pie – literally perfect. Flaky crust, tender leftover turkey, a flavorful creamy sauce and cozy veggies.
- Cornbread & Leftover Turkey Casserole – a bit like turkey pot pie but with a fluffy cornbread topping.
- Leftover Turkey Enchiladas – tortillas filled with leftover turkey, smothered in enchilada sauce and cheese and baked until bubbly.
- Herbed Turkey Stroganoff – this saucy herby dish is full of flavor (and leftover turkey) and it’s perfect spooned over leftover mashed potatoes or pasta.
- Cheesy Turkey Zucchini Casserole – Zucchini and turkey mix with stuffing in a new family favorite casserole.l
- Turkey Stuffing Roll Ups – All of the flavors of turkey dinner in turkey rolls. Use deli turkey or thin slices of leftover turkey. If your leftovers are too hard to roll, stack ’em up!
- Leftover Turkey Casserole – This leftover turkey recipe has all of the goodness of thanksgiving diner in one dish.
Leftover Turkey Salads & Sandwiches
Leftover turkey is, of course, great for meals like soups and casseroles but it makes for a great lunch too! We use it in place of chicken in our favorite Chicken Salad Sandwiches and add it to Dill Pickle Pasta Salad for a hearty meal! My absolute favorite way to enjoy leftover turkey is as a hot turkey sandwich though (recipe below)!
The great thing about roasting turkey or turkey breasts is that it’s cooked once and then you have easy prep for days (or weeks to come)! I use every bit of the turkey from the neck and backbone to the carcass.
Regardless of how you intend to use it, store leftover turkey meat and bones in airtight containers or zippered bags. This will help keep it fresh as long as possible.
In the fridge, the leftover turkey should last 3-5 days.
In the freezer, it should last for up to a month if frozen. Perfect when you intend to use it later!