Learn how to make the trendy rolled ice cream at home in just 10 minutes. Deceptively easy to make with tons of flavor options!
As someone who loves a good ice cream recipe, we’ve got a new one to add to our repertoire: ice cream rolls.
This basic yet incredibly delicious recipe is a foolproof way of making and enjoying this frozen dessert.
What is rolled ice cream?
Rolled ice cream is popular street food from Thailand and is served as a dessert. Because of its unique presentation, it’s become increasingly popular around the world, especially all over social media.
Also known as stir fried ice cream or ice cream rolls, it is ice cream that has been flattened and then rolled up using a spatula.
Why this recipe will be a dessert favorite:
- 2 Ingredients. The base recipe uses just heavy cream and condensed milk: that is it!
- Easy to make. No fancy ingredients or ice cream maker is required!
- Versatile. From ice cream flavors to toppings, you get a lot of options to choose which makes customization easy.
- Kid friendly. This is a fun activity to get the whole family involved in.
What I love about this recipe is just how foolproof it is! You’d think it’d be complicated but honestly, it’s faster than buying ice cream!
Rolled ice cream is very easy to make as you don’t need any fancy ingredients. Here is what you’ll need:
For ice cream base:
- Cream. Chilled heavy cream.
- Condensed milk. Full fat condensed milk or coconut condensed milk.
- Vanilla extract.
- Strawberry jam. Use a jam or jelly with a high percetage of fruit in it.
Cookies and cream:
How to make rolled ice cream
This recipe is very easy to make and needs a few minutes of prep. Ready to make some ice cream rolls?
Step 1- prep the freezer
Make space for at least two baking sheets or metal baking pans. Don’t use glass or ceramic trays because the ice cream will not freeze quickly.
Step 2- make the ice cream base
Take a medium bowl, add cream, condensed milk, salt, and whisk. Pour the ice cream base into the baking sheets and divide equally. Add flavors to the base by mixing jams, extracts, and cocoa in it the base. You can add cookies and sprinkles on top.
Step 3- Freeze and roll up
Freeze the base for about 2 hours or until frozen completely. Using a sharp spatula, press into the ice cream to make ice cream rolls.
Tips to make the best recipe
Making rolled ice cream is extremely easy; here are a few tips to have the best results:
- Crush the mix-ins finely to make a thin layer for better ice cream rolls.
- Keep the tray or ice cream machine as cold as possible to make the best ice cream rolls.
- Make sure the base isn’t too thick or watery to freeze and roll your ice cream well.
Like traditional ice cream, you can switch up the ice cream base to change the flavors! Here are some tested ideas:
- Peanut butter: Drizzle 1/2 cup of melted peanut butter into the ice cream base and add chopped peanuts.
- Chocolate: Fold through 1/2 cup cocoa powder to the ice cream base, then add 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Mint chocolate chip: Add 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract, a drop of green food coloring, and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Cookie dough: Break apart some edible cookie dough and fold it through the base.
- Mixed berry: Use a mix of blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry jams.
- To store: Put your rolled ice cream in a container and close the lid after covering the container with plastic wrap. It’ll keep the ice cream fresh by blocking air into the container. Freshly made rolled ice cream will keep well for up to one week.
- To thaw: Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes before enjoying it.
More ice cream recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
The only difference between the two is the presentation and texture. The rolled kind is thinner but just as rich and creamy.
Rolled ice cream is not necessarily healthier than traditional ice cream. However, it is lower in calories due to its thinner texture.
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserved
- 1/2 cup cookies crushed
Place a large metallic baking sheet or tray in the freezer.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and condensed milk. Fold through your mix-ins of choice.
Remove the frozen baking sheet or tray from the freezer and transfer the ice cream on top, spreading it in a flat layer.
Place the tray in the freezer for at least two hours.
Using a sharp spatula, roll the ice cream from one end to the other and serve immediately.
TO STORE: Put your rolled ice cream in a container and close the lid after covering the container with a plastic wrap. It’ll keep the ice cream fresh by blocking air into the container. Freshly made rolled ice cream will keep well for up to one week.
TO THAW: Let the ice cream sit at room temperature for a few minutes before enjoying it.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 53mg | Potassium: 160mg | Vitamin A: 671IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 0.1mg | NET CARBS: 10g