This easy to make hearty vegetable soup recipe is ready in under 1 hour and it won’t disappoint. It’s dairy-free, vegetarian, and so flavorful.
Hearty Vegetable Soup Recipe
This vegetable soup recipe is one of our favorite soups to make on a fall day or when we need a vegetable packed meal.
We love all soup recipes on Fit Foodie Finds. Creamy soup, brothy soup, and everything in between, but this soup is a perfect combo of hearty AND also brothy. It really is the best of both worlds.
why we’re obsessed with this soup
- This vegetable soup recipe is packed with all of our favorite vegetables but you can always sub them out for your favorites. It’s easy to swap.
- If you like to make a big batch of soup to save for later, this soup is perfect.
- The broth in this soup is so flavorful and delicious.
We used both traditional vegetables for this easy vegetable soup recipe and then threw in some curve balls like sweet potato and then added white northern beans for an extra serving of protein.
- Green beans
- Sweet corn
Don’t fret if you don’t have everything this recipe calls for, you can make easy substitutions or swaps and still end up with the best vegetable soup. Some easy swaps you can make are:
- Hot sauce –> sriracha or more red pepper flakes
- Vegetable broth –> chicken broth or beef broth
- Dried minced garlic or onion –> granulated garlic powder or onion powder
- White onion –> yellow onion or purple onion
- Carrots –> parsnips or another root vegetable
- Green Beans –> asparagus or pea pods
- Crushed tomatoes –> diced tomatoes or petite diced tomatoes
- Corn –> hominy
- Any vegetables –> mushrooms, zucchini, swiss chard, broccoli, kale, spinach, etc.
The Great Jones “The Dutchess” is our favorite Dutch oven for every day cooking. It’s great for one-pot meals, soups, and more!
This recipe for soup is crazy easy to follow. This soup is also easy to make for how flavorful and delicious it is.
The key to making homemade vegetable soup is make sure you create a delicious flavor base before simmering all the ingredients together. Here’s how to make vegetable soup in 3 easy steps (with a total time to cook of less than an hr):
- You start this recipe by first sautéing the onions, garlic, and potatoes. You do this to bring out all of the delicious flavor of the garlic and onion. You also want to give the potatoes a little head start to cook.
- After that, you add the carrots and celery in to both get the cooking and to add to the base flavor.
- Lastly, you add everything else to the pot except for the corn and beans and bring it all to a boil and then simmer to deliciousness. We wait to add the corn and beans to the soup because they are already cooked and we don’t want them to get mushy.
here’s a flavor tip
Looking for more ways to up the flavor of this soup? Check out some fun ways to add even more complex flavor below!
Make it SPICY – Add an extra teaspoon or two of hot sauce to the soup for an extra kick!
Make it SWEET – We add maple syrup to balance out the acidity and spice of this soup. Feel free to add a teaspoon or two more for even more great flavor and maple flavor!
Make it HERBY – There is a bundle of fresh rosemary and thyme in this soup! If you want more, try adding fresh sage, oregano, or even tarragon to the herb bundle!
Vegetable Soup Recipe Q & A
You can use any vegetable in a vegetable soup recipe, you just have to aware of HOW you cook them and when you add them to the soup.
When you are simmering vegetable soup you want to make sure that you use hearty vegetables that don’t dissolve while you are simmering the soup (potatoes, carrots, celery, etc.)
However, you can add vegetables like zucchini, green beans, spinach, or kale right at the end of your cook time and simmer the soup for about 5-10 minutes and they won’t dissolve.
There are so many healthy benefits to eating vegetables in general. You get your daily fiber, protein, potassium, and vitamin A in with this soup.
This soup can last up to 7 days in the refrigerator! To store this soup in the fridge, let the soup cool completely before placing it in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Yes, you can freeze this soup! To freeze easy vegetable soup, let the soup cool completely before placing it in a freezer safe container and placing it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Need more details on how to freeze soup? We take a deep dive on how to freeze soup here.
How to Freeze Soup & Chili
Learn how to freeze soup and chili with this easy How to Freeze Soup tutorial. We’ll share all of our tips and tricks to perfect freezer soup.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion minced
- 1 large Idaho potato peeled cubed
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 large stalks celery diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 cups fresh green beans trimmed and halved
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried minced bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 15-oz. can white northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet corn
Calories: 192kcal Carbohydrates: 33g Protein: 7g Fat: 4g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 12g
Photography: photos taken in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.